Repair minor damage to body panels
Erase minor scratches
If you scratch the surface and does not affect the metal panels, repair it is made extremely easy.
- To remove loose paint particles and wax coating lightly rub the scratched area of fine grinding paste.
- Rinse the treated area with clean water.
- Small brush paint scratch paint used for the outer coating surrounding body panels. Continue to apply paint layer by layer until it is inside the crack surface reaches the level of the surrounding surface of the panel.
- Give the new paint to polymerize for at least two weeks, then grind the transition surface flush with the rest of the panel with a very fine sanding paste. Finally, coat the surface treated with wax.
- If penetrated the paint to reach the metal panel and cause it to corrode, it should use a different technology renovation. Penknife from scratch scrape the rust powder, then treat the surface inhibitory paint to prevent corrosion development in the future.
- Rubber or nylon applicator cover the damaged area treated filler glyantsovochnogo type. If necessary - which is especially useful for narrow putty scratch - for the formation of very fine filler paste can be diluted with a solvent.
- Before glyantsovochnaya plaster hardens within the scratches wrap fingertip smooth cotton cloth.
- Then, moistened finger in the solvent quickly slide it along the plastered surface scratches. This will make the surface slightly concave.
- Now, after hardening putty treated scratch can be painted according to the instructions p. and
When repairing dents priority becomes deformed surface stretching for the purpose of removing it to the level of the original. It makes no sense to try to achieve full compliance with the original - it is still not possible in view of violation of the internal structure of the metal panel on impact. The optimal level of indentation removing the surface to a level of about 3 mm below the surface of the undamaged section of the surrounding body panels. If very shallow dent pulling it does not make sense.
In the case where a concave portion is accessible from the back side of the panel should try Align the dent from the inside with a hammer with soft brisk. Tapping dent tightly pressed against the side of her face mallet to settle the pulse strike to avoid excessive bending of the deformed metal panel.
If the dent portion formed on the bilayer panel or access thereto from the back side is not possible for any other reason, must use a methodology stretching. Nasverlite on the concave portion of the panel a few small holes, trying to they found themselves in the most recessed areas dents. Then screw the long screws into the holes, leaving their heads sticking out so that it was possible for them to grab tongs. Now start pulling dent forceps for screws.
In the next processing step to remove dents damaged surface portion and a width of about 3 cm around it. This work is best done with a wire attachment or shkuryaschego disk installed in the chuck of an electric, but no less effective, and manual handling of sandpaper. The final stage of preparation for the spackling is scratching the exposed metal dents screwdriver or a fragment of a file or drilling small holes in it to ensure maximum adhesion to the surface of the filler metal. Then you can move on to the implementation of procedures spackling and painting.
Repair of the rusted holes and holes
- With shkuryaschego or wire nozzle clamped in the chuck of an electric, remove all traces of paint from the damaged area and the section width of about 3 cm around it. In the absence of the possibility of using an electric work can be done just as effectively by hand with sandpaper.
- After removing the paint, you can assess the extent of damage to metal corrosion and determine whether it makes sense to start to repair or replace will be wiser panel entirely (if at all possible). The new panels can be purchased is not as expensive as it is thought by many motorists. It is often much faster and even more economical to install the new panel than to repair the extensive damage to the body.
- Remove the damaged panel, all the elements of decoration of the body, except for those that can serve as a guide to re-create the original shape of the deformed sections (such as the lining of the block range, and so on. N.). Using tin snips or a hacksaw blade, remove any loose loose, loose and hopelessly corroded pieces of metal, and then fold the edges of the hole with a hammer inside to form a recess for containing a putty material.
- Use the wire brush to remove the damaged metal powder rust. If you have access to the underside of the damaged area, treat it with a corrosion inhibitor.
- Before the start of spackling hole must be plugged. This can be done by riveting or bolting to the damaged section on the back of his hand a piece of tin or blocking the hole with wire mesh.
- After blocking the hole damaged area can be plastered and painted (see. The following section).
Spackling and painting
Available in many types of body fillers, however, it should be noted that for this type of work is best attached with a set of body panels for repair putty paste placed in a tube of hardener. In order to achieve the smoothness and accuracy of the contour surface of the putty, paste should be applied to a flexible plastic or nylon applicator.
- Strictly following the manufacturers instructions (violation of them can result in incorrect congealed putty), mix a small amount of filler on a clean wooden or cardboard surface (carefully use a hardener).
- Applicator, apply the putty in the suitably prepared surface of the damaged section of the body panels. To achieve the desired surface contour and the level of each stroke putty applicator must pass through the entire repair area.
- Once filled, the surface of the circuit will be close to the original, immediately cease to apply the putty, as one begins to solidify Podlipaev to the applicator, forming lumps and leaving the bully on the treated surface.
- Continue to apply the paste layers at intervals of about 20 minutes to as long as the level of the surface of the putty will not protrude slightly above the surrounding metal panel.
- After hardening putty, excess of it can be removed with a file.
- Then begins the stage of sanding and polishing the surface of the putty. It is best suited for this purpose, waterproof sandpaper imported (because it complied with uniform grain abrasive and its good adhesion to the substrate). You start with a coarse-grained paper number 180 and, in a progressive lowering granularity, you can finish in the number 600.Dlya order to achieve adequate surface flatness of the paper should be treated pre-wrap around the bar made of thick rubber (wood or foam) or stick to it. During the processing of the paper should be regularly and frequently moistened with water. This technology allows to achieve an absolute smoothness and flatness of the surface being treated at the final stage.
- At this stage, the treated surface damage must be surrounded by a ring of pure naked metal ending gradually tapering off the edge of a good paint. Rinse the treated surface with clean water, washing away from it all, formed during grinding abrasive.
- From an aerosol can spray the treated surface with a thin layer of light-primer. This will reveal all committed in the course of grinding defects that can be eliminated by coating them with a layer of fresh putty. Repeat step sanding and polishing. Repeat punctuate luting, processing and priming the surface to obtain a satisfactory result. Upon completion, rinse the treated surface with water and dry it.
- The surface is now ready for staining. Staining car spray should be carried out at the motionless, dry, warm and sheltered from the air. The most fully meet these requirements and conditions of the closed volume of heated space. If circumstances force to carry out a body painting outdoors, you should seriously consider the choice of suitable weather conditions. When working indoors nail dust, sprinkling the floor with water. If you made a painting of a separate body panels of a vehicle, cover the surrounding undamaged panel. This precaution will minimize the effect of small differences in the colors of the old and fresh paint. Such elements like chrome decorative trim strips, door handles, and so on. N., Should also cover (and better - rent). To protect the surfaces not to be coated with adhesive tape and use the old newspapers, which should be applied in several layers.
- Before you start using aerosols, thoroughly shake the spray, then sprinkle the surface of the paint trial, practicing the technique staining. Cover prepared for painting the surface with a thick layer of primer. The thickness achieved through multiple application of thin layers of primer. Sparing no water, waterproof sandpaper number 600 treat primed surface, achieving absolute smoothness. Before proceeding to the final staining let the primer dry completely.
- Apply a layer of decorative paint, again achieving thickness due to the multiplicity of its application. Staining start from the center of the repair area, making hand spray with circular movements, expanding their range in a spiral until until it is all covered the damaged area, plus a ring of surrounding good about five centimeters wide. After 10-15 minutes (preferably not later, so as not to damage the edge begins to freeze fresh paint) after the last coat of paint unstick covering the surrounding body panels newspaper and sticky tape. The paint is completely polymerized for about two weeks, after which, to smooth the transition of fresh paint, treat recovered surface is very fine sanding paste. Finally, apply a coat of wax on the panel.
- If you can not get to the back of the panel for straightening dents with the power hammer, straighten dent with the help of tools like the hammer. At the deepest point along the dents or dings, drill or punch a hole at a distance of at least 25 mm from each other ...
- ... then wrap the device in the hole and straighten dent. Uprites ground near the edge of the hammer dents and pull out the crumpled metal. Get to match the original shape of the surface was approximately 3 mm below the surrounding metal.
- With a large sandpaper, remove the paint from the damaged metal. Sandpaper is well suited for this, but the grinding wheel makes the job faster. Use a thin (N grains about 320) sandpaper stripping the paint from a distance of approximately 25 mm around the damaged area.
- When the paint is removed, the touch easier to determine unevenness than to the eye. Align irregularities as far as possible. Clean the repair area special cleaner.
- In accordance with the instructions for use, mix a certain amount of the compound and the hardener. The ratio of the compound and the hardener is very important and if you mix in the correct proportion, it either will not harden or solidify too fast (you do not have time to, in this case, to give it the desired shape).
- Working quickly, the compound did not have time to harden plastic spatula, apply the compound to the metal after its mixing. Work until the applied material does not take initial shape, with slightly higher than the surrounding metal.
- Allow to harden, checking fingernail. C using the tool to remove the compound, giving it the desired shape.
- Major sandpaper to the grinding board, treat the compound, he took to the desired shape and was smooth. Work, changing the sandpaper to the smallest up to size 360 or 400.
- You should not feel any transition from compound to an open metal or from metal to old paint. As soon as the repair area is smooth and homogeneous, remove dust mask and adjacent panels and facing parts.
- Apply several coats of a zone of repair. Do not apply just a lot of ground, t. To. He will drain and collect in drops and apply the next layer, just making sure that the previous dry. The photo shows the professional sprayer, but can also be applied spray bottle available and inexpensive.
- Damage primer will help detect bumps and scratches. Terminate their compound. Follow the instructions and sand with sandpaper N 360-400 until smooth. Repeat this operation until a perfect surface.
- Polish the ground very fine sandpaper (400 or 600) to remove the droplets primer. Wash repair area with water and pat dry. Soft cloth to remove dust, then apply the last coat. Do not polish or apply a protective layer of paint to dry completely (about two weeks).