Precautions on charging system
Before carrying out any work on the charging system, review the following safety precautions:
- Never disconnect the battery or voltage regulator when the engine and the generator running.
- Never short-circuit terminal of the generator or the cable fixed to it at mass.
- Never confuse wire voltage regulator.
- Never operate the voltage regulator, if it is connected to weight (instant damage).
- Never remove the generator if the battery is disconnected from the circuit.
- When installing the battery make sure that the minus terminals are connected to ground.
- Never use a voltage tester which is connected directly to the consumer network (110 or 220). Use only a 12 volt LED
- If the battery is charged when installed charger, both battery cables must be disconnected. The positive terminal of the battery charger connected to the positive battery terminal and the negative terminal of the battery charger to the negative terminal of the battery.
- Improper wiring leads to the destruction of the rectifier and voltage regulator.
Check the generator set
In normal driving charge control lamp should go out. Otherwise, the fault is in the generator or the voltage regulator. First check the electrical connections of the generator.
Check the drive belt is tensioned. Further testing may be carried out only to remove the generator.
- Disconnect the battery earth cable.
- On the reverse side of the generator, disconnect the cable plug. Disconnect from a separate terminal.
- Loosen the timing belt as described in Chapter Current care and maintenance and loosen both the alternator mounting bolts.
- Click inside the generator and remove the belt.
- Remove the bolt on the bottom side of the generator and remove the generator. Installation of the generator is carried out in reverse order. Put the belt in the groove pulley and squeeze out the generator in the suspension. Hold generator in this position and tighten the bolt tensioning brackets.
- Check the belt tension and adjust if necessary, as described in the relevant chapter.
Repair the generator
The generator and controller connected to it is not necessary to adjust or repair, if the necessary experience. Avoid charging generator can be exchanged for a new one, while passing old. Small repairs, such as replacement of brushes can be made at the workshop. Generator bearings are permanently lubricated and require no maintenance. Keep the surface of the generator clean and do not expose it to water or other solvents. Brushes generator slip on smooth slip rings and therefore have a very long life. To check the brushes require the removal of the generator. If you are good at generators, disassembly is described below.
Perform the following work, guided by the illustration below. The illustration shows the generator Bosch, which is installed on vehicles with engine 2.0 l. On the carburettor engine generator set Magnetti-Marelli. The main difference is the lack of plate mounting, as the bearing is pressed directly into the bearing plate. It should be noted in the following description.
Wiring Diagram Generator Bosch
- Unscrew the nut from the armature shaft and remove the shaft from the pulley, and fan spacer and washer (if available). The shaft can be held with the weakening of the old V-belt present on the pulley and clamped in a vise. To remove the belt pulley can be used two or trehzahvatny puller. It should be remembered that the pulley defined for this motor.
- Remove from the shaft woodruff key.
- Unscrew and remove the controller with the brush holder.
- Mark Shield drive and bearing housing on opposite sites of the housing and remove the two clamping bolts. Separate the rear cover from the front of the bearing. This can be a little knock on the front cover of a polymer with a hammer.
- Install the bearing shield and anchor under the press and remove the anchor trehzahvatnym stripper. When pressing out the bolts fastening plate can break. So be sure to stay tuned to capture stripper three were installed under the base plate mounting, not only under the shield of the bearing. If you need to remove the bearing from the panel, loosen the screws on the inner side and press out the bearing.
- Press the bearing from the end of the armature slip rings. If used for this puller, it must be placed under the inner race of the bearing.
- Unsolder fee diodes from the stator. To do this, take the place of soldering wires between the stator and a soldering iron tongs, which will be used to remove the heat. Diodes must not overheat.
- Rectifier diode should be removed if there are appropriate tools and appropriate experience.
- If you have experience, you should check the details as follows.
Check of brushes and brush holder
- Check the contact brushes with slip rings.
- Check the mobility of the brushes in the brush holders, if necessary, clean brush holders means "Tri".
- If the protruding portion of the brush is worn to the boundary line, it is necessary to solder the new brush. On generator Bosch projecting length should be 10 mm; the generator Magnetti-Marelli 5 mm. To measure using a ruler.
If the slip rings are dirty or greasy, they should be wiped with a cloth dampened in a vehicle "Tri". Available notch can be polished very fine sandpaper.
- To check the insulation ohmmeter probes attach to the armature core and the contact rings. If the reading is not equal to infinity, the anchor must be replaced. Apply the test leads to the anchor as shown in the illustration below.
| || The connection method when checking the armature winding for a short to ground. One probe ohmmeter (1) applied to the slip ring and the other probe (2) to the iron core. Likewise, check the other slip ring. |
- To check on the armature winding current flow, attach the probe to the two slip rings. The device should show some resistance. If the ohmmeter shows infinity, then there is a break, if on the contrary, it means that a short circuit. Ohmmeter connected as shown in the illustration below. When both anchor failures should be replaced, but rather install a new generator as well as the repair in the end it will cost more.
| || Check the anchor on the current flow. Both probe ohmmeter connected to both contact rings. |
Checking the stator
A short circuit can detect the reason for the intense heat the damaged area. Otherwise, connect one probe of an ohmmeter to the stator core, and the other probe turns to the three wires of the stator, as shown in the illustration below.
| || Checking the stator for a short to ground. In order to apply the ohmmeter (1) between the three conductors (2) and the stator core (3). |
The device should show infinity. To check the flow of current to the stator, in order to connect the three stator cables together in pairs. If the unit does not show anything, no current flows. At the same time apply the test leads as shown in the illustration below.
| || Checking stator current flow. Connect the ohmmeter (1) in order with three cables (2). Here are checked every two cables together. |
Exact diode test voltage transmission and lock the current definition is only possible with the help of a special device, and the test should be carried out in the workshop. A quick check can be done by connecting the order of the current source is equipped with an ohmmeter between each diode and diode board. Follow indications. They must be either small or large. Change the polarity of the ohmmeter. Former small resistance should be large, high resistance should be small.
In the shows the wiring diagram of the generator, it should be guided by the assembly.
- Collect a shield bearing the drive. To do this, press in the bearing side mikronasechkami to the rotor. At Bosch generator under it should be set washer. Place the mounting plate and secure with screws (only Bosch).
- Set anchor in the bearing shield. This well situated shield and press-fit anchor.
- If needed otpaivat wires should be soldered into place. At the same time, use tweezers to remove the heat that the diodes do not overheat.
- Check the inside of the stator and move aside the bad laid wires so they do not touch the anchor.
- Insert through the hole in the lid bearing a small wire brush to lift the brush from the rings when installing the cover. Slide the bearing shield contact rings on the stator and a shield bearing the drive, while necessary to check that brushes have been raised over the inserted wire rings (see. Illustration below). Since the brushes can see bad, for this to work you need to have patience. When the bearing shield slip rings sit down, remove the wire. Screw the bearing shield slip rings.
| || Insert a piece of wire to the generator to lift the brush before installing the cover. |
- Put spacer ring and fan (Magnetti-Marelli) on the armature shaft and fit pulley. Tighten the nut with a force of 45 - 55 N ??? m in the generator Bosch or force 70 - 90 N ??? m in the Magnetti-Marelli. For this pulley can be clamped in a vice with soft metal jaws.
On models Primera starter installed with forced switching gear that matches engine power. The starter motor has a 1.6 liter direct drive, t. E. Starter power is transferred directly to the starter gear. Cars with an engine 2.0 liter have a starter, on which the reduction gear to increase the starting torque for the same size of a starter. This starter is also produced by Magnetti-Marelli.
Removing and installing starter
Accurate checking the starter should be made to stand in the electrical workshop. To do this, remove the starter:
- Disconnect the battery earth cable.
- Lift the front of the vehicle.
- Disconnect the electrical connections to the back of the starter.
- Loosen the bolts on the flywheel housing or torque converter and remove the starter.
- Installation is carried out in reverse order. Be sure to connect the cables.
Dismantling and assembling starter
The illustration below shows the wiring diagram of the starter with reduction gear.
Wiring diagram front of the starter with reduction gear
The illustration below shows the set from the back side with the details of the starter armature. Starter direct drive has a conventional design and disassembly is easy.
Elements on the back side of the starter
- Loosen the bolts on the front side of the traction relay and disconnect the lever of switching to remove the relay.
- Loosen the nuts and bolts on the back of the starter and remove the cap from the reservoir. Remove the starter from the anchor and the front bearing shield.
- Remove the brush from the holder and remove the remaining parts of the back of the starter. Remember the exact position of the individual elements
- Remove the remaining parts, guided by an illustration.
- The brushes are soldered to the pole of the coil and can only be replaced by replacement of the entire corpus of field coils.
Checking the details of a starter
Brushes should have a length of 5 mm (with reduction gear) or 3.5 mm (direct drive). To measure the brushes can be used calipers.
- Make sure the brush is easy to move in the guide. If you want to wipe the sides of the brush soaked in gasoline with a cloth or process a file. If you want to - replace the brush.
- Check the tension of the springs of brushes dynamometer, which is set at a right angle to the spring. The result should match the value in the Specifications in the beginning of Chapter.
A good collector should have a smooth surface free from voids, and charred places.
- Wipe collector gasoline soaked rag while cranking the starter. If required, it can be treated with sandpaper (grain 500 - 600), as shown below. To process the greatly worn a collector, it can be machined.
| || Clear collector strip of sandpaper (1). Clamping anchor in various positions in the grip to clean the entire circumference. |
- Pre-measure the diameter of the collector caliper. If the measured (see. Illustration below) has a diameter close to the minimum value of 28.8 mm, the collector must be replaced. Anchor bore is clamped to a lathe and rotated at high turnover is removed from the metal layer. Take just the right amount of material.
| || Diameter measurement reservoir (1) using a caliper (2). |
- In closing the gap between the segments of propylene reservoir at a depth of 0.5 - 0.8 mm. Saw blades should be inserted into the slit horizontally to cut the length of all, that is. E. Not to warp the canvas. Then polish with fine sandpaper collector, appeared to shine. The most common faults in the reservoir due to a short circuit in the armature (collector burned coils), otherwise he has to work a long time.
- It is best to check the pole coil ohmmeter, which is included between the positive terminal pole coil and the starter as shown in the illustration below. The illustration shows an ohm-meter with an internal current source. Ohmmeter another construction must first be connected to the battery. If this test checks whether the pole is not closed by the coil to ground. If ohmmeter shows any value, the starter housing with pole coils must be replaced.
| || Check the insulation between the starter (1) and the positive terminal pole coil (3). Use an ohmmeter to test (2). |
- At the next check ohm meter is connected between the two terminals of brushes, as shown in the illustration below. When this test is monitored, whether the current flows between the brushes. If there is evidence, the starter must be replaced.
Checking the passage of current between the positive terminal and the positive pole coil brush
| || 1 - positive brush |
2 - ohm meter
3 - positive brush
4 - the positive terminal
To check armature winding requires a special device called a buzzer. If this device is not present, you can check out an old anchor, temporarily replacing it with a new one. Never attempt to Align bent anchor or process it, t. E. To grind or remove burrs.
Strongly broken bearings having lateral clearance, must be replaced. To do this it is best to measure the outer diameter of the armature shaft and the inner diameter of the bearing bore. If the difference between the two dimensions greater than 0.2 mm, press out the old sleeve, put a new sleeve for 30 minutes in clean engine oil and press in the bearing shield. Then grind the sleeve until the shaft will not be a gap 0.03 - 0.10 mm.
Check that the starter pinion teeth are in good condition. Gear should be easy to move on a gear shaft connecting anchor. Free running is to be only one way to the other side gear must be blocked. If necessary, replace the entire drive. In this case also check the starter ring gear for damage.
The traction relay
The traction relay can not be repaired. To check the traction relay coils must be connected 2-volt battery to the terminals "S" and "M" on the relay. Tappet switch to move. Repeat the same test, but this time, connect the battery to the terminal "M" and the body. The pusher must be set in motion, and when connecting the wires to the terminal "M" held. 7. m The illustration shows where the terminals are located on the relay.
Fitting the starter
Fitting the starter in the reverse sequence of disassembly.
- Lightly lubricate the gear teeth of the armature shaft and the bearing arm incorporating lubricant.
- Lightly oil the bearings and gears.
- After the assembly tighten the starter grip and connect to the terminals of the traction relay "S" and "M" the 12-volt battery as shown in the illustration below.
How to connect the battery to check the distance gear. Measure the clearance between the arrows
| || 1 - Battery |
2 - connected switch
3 - thrust ring gear
- Gear starter when current supply jumps forward thrust washer (3), however, between the gear and the thrust ring should be a gap. Measure the gap feeler gauge or caliper. If the gap between the arrows located more than 3 mm, something in the starter set is not so.