As the coolant used standard liquid (antifreeze) - a mixture of water and ethylene glycol. Contained in antifreeze additives prevent the formation of corrosion in the cooling system of rust and scale.
When handling anti-freeze should be remembered that it is toxic and causes severe poisoning.
The company ?«Volkswagen?» fills the cooling system of its engines concentrated antifreeze G11, and, since 1999, instead of applying the antifreeze G11 G12, which can be identified by the color which has become red instead of green.
Antifreeze G11 and G12 in any case should not be confused, as they are incompatible.
The company ?«Ford?» fills its engine cooling system antifreeze ?«Motorcraft Super Plus 4".
Antifreeze should be in the cooling system throughout the year. If you have to dilute the antifreeze with water, it is necessary to observe the following proportions:
- Frost limit to -25 ?° C:
- With one coil - 3.6 liters of antifreeze 5.4 l of water;
- With two heat exchangers - 4.5 liters of antifreeze 4.5 l of water;
- With two heat exchangers and additional heaters - 4.6 liters of antifreeze 6.8 l of water;
- Frost limit to -35 ?° C:
- With one coil - 4.3 liters of antifreeze 6.5 l of water;
- With two heat exchangers - 5.4 liters of antifreeze 5.4 l of water;
- With two heat exchangers and additional heaters - 5,7 l antifreeze 5.7 L of water.
The mixture should be prepared in a watering can or a similar vessel of water and pour it into a ready-made cooling system. Often, the cooling system is first poured antifreeze, and then water was added, but the mixture thus formed at once, since it must run before on several occasions by the cooling system water pump.
When diluted with water, the antifreeze is unacceptable use of seawater or brackish water and alkali water softener.
The cooling systems of both engines (2.0 L and VR6) poured the same amount of cooling liquid.
Fig. 185. Checking the tightness of the cooling system using a pressure pump VW1274
Leak testing of the cooling system should be carried out by means of a pressure pump VW1274 (Fig. 185).
Install the injection pump VW1274 to the expansion tank (see. Fig. 185),
bring the pressure to 1.0 atmosphere and make sure that it is maintained for at least 2 minutes. If it does not, it means that the cooling system has a coolant leak. In this case, check the following:
- Whether sealed radiator hoses, engine and heater;
- Condition of hoses, squeezing their hand. If the hoses are not flexible, and hard and cracked, they should be replaced;
- Density planting on the hose nozzles;
- Hose clamps for tightness.