Crankshaft and crankshaft bearings
Supports crankshaft injection engine
Supports carburetor engine crankshaft
Supports crankshaft injection and carburetor engines are different. In the carburettor engine crankshaft has five pillars. At both ends of the double bearing cap is used. In injection engine uses five main bearing caps, but the cover is installed on the frame covers to keep their position. The illustrations above shows the performance of the two bearings of the crankshaft.
Measuring the axial clearance of the crankshaft
Before removing the crankshaft of the engine should be installed to measure the axial play to know whether or not the assembly to replace the adjusting rings on the middle pole. Proceed as follows:
- Set the dial indicator to the end of the flywheel shown in the illustration, and check whether the end play is less than 0.3 mm. This is the maximum clearance. First, the dial indicator must be set to "0".
| || Measuring the axial clearance of the crankshaft. The measurements were carried out on both engines equally |
- Arm resting on the crank arm (preferably wooden handle tool) push the shaft in the direction as shown by the arrow in the illustration.
Removing the crankshaft
To remove the crankshaft must be removed. Section Disassembly of the engine covers most of preparatory works, which are detailed in the following chapters:
- Remove the cylinder head (Section Head of cylinders and the timing).
- Remove the pan (Head of System of cooling and heating).
- Remove the camshaft drive (Section Head of cylinders and the timing).
- Remove the flywheel, the intermediate plate and the packing flange motor from the reverse side.
- Remove pistons and connecting rods.
- On fuel-injected engine, guided by an illustration, loosen the screws on main bearing cover from the edge to the middle of the (first loosen both screws on the side of the flywheel) and remove the crankshaft bearing caps bed cap and nested shells. Label each cap and an insert (color stripe) so that they can be fitted into position. Lift the crankshaft and remove the upper halves of the main bearing shells from the cylinder. Fold the other ear pads and the corresponding lids. Mark both adjustment and remove half rings with an average support.
- On the carburettor engine, guided by an illustration to loosen the three bearing caps in the order shown in the illustration below, for some passes and remove the cover in order. Remove the crankshaft, as described for the injection engine.
| || Sequence of easing of bolts of covers of radical bearings of the crankshaft in the engine carburetor. |
Front gland is located in the cover of the drive camshaft rear oil seal is screwed into the cylinder block flange. Both oil seal can be replaced by the engine installed. Depending on the front cover can either remain fixed or must be removed.
Replacing front crankshaft oil seal
- On fuel-injected engine, unscrew the bottom panel, the cover on the right hand wheel arch and the side cover of the engine and remove the crankshaft pulley. Gently squeeze out the oil seal with a screwdriver.
- On the carburettor engine, remove the belts and all parts are installed on the front side of the engine, as described in Section Cylinder Head and the timing to be able to unscrew the camshaft drive. Remove the oil seal on the front side with a screwdriver. It does not damage the cover.
To hold the crankshaft pulley into gear.
- Drive in new oil seal suitable rod (both outside). Grease a working edge of a small amount of grease. Depending on the engine cover and set or removed parts. Depending on the installed units after assembly to adjust the belts.
Replacing the rear crankshaft oil seal
- Remove the gearbox, clutch and flywheel (or in the version with an automatic transmission the driving disk).
- Loosen the screws on sealing flange and remove the cover. Carefully clean the sealing surfaces of the sealant residues using a scraper. If you have a little skill can be removed from the gland cover installed.
- Knock out the oil seal from the inside out, without damaging the body. To do this, use a reliable acute mandrel.
Installation is as follows:
- Carefully drive in a new oil seal with a hammer to set it in the middle. It does not damage the sealing lip. The outer surface of the stuffing box should be flush with the housing.
- Cover the stuffing box with sealant and reinstall the cover.
- All the other works in the reverse order of removal.
Check the details of the crankshaft
- Carefully check the crankshaft for damage and accurately measure the main and connecting rod bearings. Cervical main and connecting rod bearings can be ground to be able to install the shaft with bearing shells repair size.
- Hold the crankshaft between centers of a lathe or replace the external pins in the prism (see. Illustration below) and check runout on middle neck with a dial indicator. Run-out shall not exceed 0.04 mm. Keep in mind, which is reflected on the display when the beating of one revolution of the crankshaft to be divided by 2 to get the actual bending. If the reading is greater than the shaft must be replaced.
| || Carefully use a screwdriver to remove the seal from the camshaft drive cover. |
| || When driven in front oil seal pin must be installed on the entire outer surface. |
| || Check the crankshaft run-out. Set the dial indicator to the middle neck of the crankshaft bearing and slowly rotate the crankshaft mounted in a prism. |
Measuring the gap of indigenous and connecting rod bearings
Typically, bearing clearance is measured with a polymeric hair "Plastigage", however, in these engines is recommended accurate measurement neck diameter and the inner diameter of the bearing pads. In determining the clearance bearings proceed as follows, with the proviso that there are inner and outer micrometers:
- Good clean bearing shells and place in the bearing bore of the cylinder (in accordance with designations of bearings). Insert the bottom loose leaves in the crankshaft bearing caps and place the lid on the pan. On fuel-injected engine frame screw caps.
- Tighten all screws on main bearing cover, starting from the inside out, with the appropriate Specifications torque (see. for gasoline, for injection).
- With internal indicator measure internal diameter of the individual bearings, as illustrated. This test leads first set as shown, then a right angle to it. Record the value for each bearing and each direction of measurement. The difference between the "A" and "B" gives the oval holes.
| || Measure the inner diameter of the bearing shells with the cover installed. Measurements performed in directions "A" and "B". Also at both outer edges of the bearing. |
- Guided by the illustration below, measure the diameter of each bearing journal. Thus taking measurements in the directions "A" and "B", and in the field of "1" and "2". The difference between the "A" and "B" represents the roundness of the cervix; the difference between the "1" and "2" represents the cervical constriction. Record size of each neck, and each measurement.
| || Measure the crankshaft bearing journals. Measure the diameter of the field "1" and "2", and in the directions "A" and "B". |
- Calculate the difference between the values of the "A-B" and "1-2". If the roundness or the restriction is out of range, the cervix should be sanded. If the values match the required, subtract the outer diameter of the neck of the radical bearing of the inner diameter of the bearing. The result will give a gap whose value is stated in the Specifications.
- Calculate all the clearances described above. If the gaps any bearing reached the limit value, the crankshaft should be sanded to set oversize bearing shells.
- The same measure to hold on to the connecting rod bearing journals and bearings. Tighten the nuts of the connecting rod bearing with the corresponding Specifications torque (for this rod in a vise clamp and measure the necks of bearings) and the inner diameter of the inserts according to the two illustrations below.
| || Measurement of necks connecting rod bearing. Measurements are made in the field, indicated by the arrows. |
| || Measurement of the internal diameter of the liner rod. Measured at the locations indicated by the arrows. |
- Calculate bearing clearances and the method described above, based on the results, determine the condition of necks. If the clearance of cervical exceeded the limit value, the crankshaft should be abraded. The correct choice of bearings - this is quite a difficult job, and it is recommended when handling your dealer parts follow the instructions below to find the right inserts main and connecting rod bearings.
- In the cylinder block at a designated spot in the picture stamped numbers that indicate the class of the crankshaft bearings. On the counterweight crankshaft knocked out the same number. If you look at the front crankshaft bearing size of the first class is on the left when it comes to fuel-injected engine. The digits from 0 to 4.
The cylinder block in the specified location has the size designation of the necks of radical bearings
| || 1 - the number of the class |
2 - cylinder block
- In the carburettor engine on the contrary, that is, Seen from the front, embossed on the left refers to the number of the bearing ?„– 5. This engine uses only the digits from 0 to 2. In order to correctly order the inserts, which are color-coded, you must copy the figures in the cylinder block and the numbers on the crankshaft and give them to your supplier. Due to this the seller may choose the desired items. If the shaft is polished you will automatically receive the required inserts.
- A similar division in size and comes to connecting rod bearing inserts are identified on the basis of four digits.
Installing the crankshaft
Guided different wiring diagrams:
- Install the engine so that the side of the crankcase facing up. Insert the opening of the upper halves of the main bearings, crankshaft. Inserts with oil-hole installed in the unit. Left and right of the bearing number 3, set both adjustment half rings. If you install new bearing shells are, according to the color marking shall be installed in the appropriate holes. Guides liners should fit into the hole. Well lubricate the bearing surfaces.
- Gently lower the crankshaft in the bearing.
- Good grease and install bearing shells in the neck with the above instructions.
- Place the lid on the bearings.
Crankshaft bearing caps carburetor engine. Lower numbers indicate where to set the cap. The large arrow facing forward
| || 1 - a cover of bearings |
2 - embossed arrow
In this note the following:
| || The sequence of tightening the crankshaft bearing caps injection engine. The arrow points forward. |
- Check axial play with a dial indicator as described in the Measuring axial clearance of the crankshaft. If the axial play does not match the required value, it means that the repair of the measurements were made are not sufficiently accurate.
- Screw the stuffing box from the back side. Coat the sealing surface of the sealant.
- Set the pistons (Section Pistons and connecting rods).
- Screw the back of the intermediate plate of the motor.
- Install the flywheel or the drive plate torque converter and tighten the bolts with the appropriate Specifications effort. Flywheel or drive must be held against rotation, which is best done by inserting between the crankshaft and flywheel wooden block. Use only bolts with a good thread, lightly lubricate the threads with oil.
- Further assembly is carried out in a sequence that already described installed cylinder head, timing gear, oil pan, etc. as specified in individual sections. Installing the oil pan is covered in Chapter Assembling engine.