Spark plugs have a thread diameter of 14 mm. The manufacturer recommends a certain spark, but it is also possible to use candles and other manufacturers with the corresponding calorific value.
The distance between the electrodes of the spark plugs are presented in table adjustments and control.
Before you turn out the candles clean wells in which there are candles that after removing the candles in their holes to prevent dirt from entering. To remove the spark should only be used specifically for this purpose the key and HV wires from spark plugs to the VR6 engine can be removed only by special tool.
When working with the spark plugs, observe the following rules:
- When removing the HV wire from the spark plug, do not pull the cord but only the tip of the wire BH;
- After removing the candles put them in a series of cylinders;
- If, when removed, some baked onto the candle, do not use force, because you can strip the threads in the made of a light alloy cylinder head. In this case, as an exception, try to remove the candle, warming the engine up to operating temperature, observing precautions;
- Before installing new spark should wait until the engine cools down. Otherwise, the thread is tightened too much (due to thermal expansion of the material of the cylinder head);
- The spark plug should be tightened to 30 N ?· m (2.0-liter) or 25 Nm (engine VR6);
- If there is no torque wrench, then tighten a new spark plug wrench without effort so that the O-ring village into place, and then tighten it another 90 ?° spark plug wrench. If you install the old spark, then tighten them still around 15 ?°.
The maintenance schedule of the company ?«Volkswagen?» prescribes the replacement of spark plugs every 60 000 km or every 3 years. Even if the spark plugs are working without problems, they still should be replaced at the recommended intervals.
Adjusting the gap between the electrodes of the plug
Fig. 224. The gap between the center and ground electrodes of the spark plug. The probe must be inserted into the gap between the electrodes
Before installing a spark plug, check and adjust the gap between the central and side electrodes (Fig. 224).
This operation must necessarily be carried out before winter operation of the vehicle. The clearance between the spark electrodes should be between 0.7-0.9 mm.
The operation of this gap is growing because of natural wear contact material. The increase in the gap leads to increased breakdown voltage, which is a violation of sparking and increased fuel consumption.
Check the gap between the electrodes should be with a round probe. Flat probe ignores the heterogeneity of electrode wear and can give a big mistake in the measurement gap.
Fig. 225. Adjust the gap with a special tool
Increase or decrease the gap between the electrodes can only podgibaniem side electrode with a special tool (Fig. 225).
To do this, put a hook on the side of the electrode tool and gently bend or straighten it.