1. Before the test, check the following items:
- Check the fastening of the generator and the reliability of wiring;
- the state established in the car battery;
- alternator drive belt tension;
- lack of noise emitted by the generator when the engine is running.
The battery, which is used to check the current produced by the generator must be partially discharged. When fully charged the battery test can not be performed due to insufficient load generator.
2. Turn off the ignition.
3. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
4. Disconnect the terminals "B" of the generator.
Connect the DC ammeter to measure the limit of 0-100 A in series between the terminal "B" and disconnected from the alternator wire. Make sure that the negative probe of the ammeter connected to the generator disconnected from the wire.
Connect the wires and the ammeter probes are very reliable, since the chain will flow a large current. For wiring, use nuts instead of clamps.
We recommend using an inductive ammeter, which measures the current flowing through the wire without disconnecting the cable.
5. Connect a voltmeter (0-20) between terminal "B" of the generator and "weight". Make sure that the positive probe of the voltmeter connected to the terminal "B" of the generator.
6. Connect the tachometer wire to the negative terminal of the battery.
7. Connect a tachometer.
8. Leave the hood open.
9. Make sure that the voltmeter shows battery voltage.
If the voltmeter shows voltage of 0V, then do not complete an electrical circuit connecting the terminal "B" of the generator and the positive terminal of the battery or blown fuse.
10. Start the engine and turn on the lights.
11. Turn on the main beam headlights and the heater fan at maximum air supply. Briefly increase the speed of the crankshaft of the engine to 2500 min-1 and the value read on the devices, while an ammeter shows the current produced by the generator.
Limit: 70% of the current nominal capacity
- Rated current produced by the generator, refer to the technical data.
- In connection with the charging of the battery current will be reduced, so to obtain the correct results of the inspection should be carried out very quickly.
- Electricity produced by the generator will depend on the temperature and the electric load of the generator.
- If the test load of the generator is not sufficient, it will be impossible to provide the required test current, even if the alternator is good. In this case, to increase the load with the engine off turn the lights for battery discharge.
- If the test current produced by the generator is insufficient, so the temperature of the generator housing and / or the ambient temperature is too high. In this case, the generator cool before checking.
12. The current ammeter be displayed above the limit value. If the current is less than the limit value and the alternator output wire in a normal state, remove the generator from the car and check it out.
13. After completion of the test limit current produced by the generator, turn the engine to idle.
14. Switch off the ignition.
15. Remove the tachometer.
16. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
17. Disconnect the ammeter and voltmeter.
18. Connect a wire to the terminal "B" of the generator.
19. Connect the cable to the negative terminal of the battery.