Rear window defrost heater is carried out, which consists of a series of parallel conductors deposited on the glass. When an electric current conductors of heat and defrost and scrape moisture rear window. The current is supplied from the relay located in the engine compartment fuse box. If the glass in the cleared within 15 minutes, you must re-enable the heater to the second cycle, ie for 15 minutes.
To check the rear window defogger wrap probe voltmeter aluminum or tin foil to prevent damage to the conductive strip heater. To determine the break you need to press the foil with your finger and move it along the conductive strip.
1. Start the engine and turn on the rear window heater. Connect the negative lead of the voltmeter to the "weight" of the car. In turn, connect a voltmeter probe to the center of each conductive strip rear window defogger. The voltmeter should show pressure about 6 V.
2. If the voltmeter shows voltage of 12 V, it means that the current-carrying strip of a heater is broken by connecting a voltmeter between the point and the side of the heater connected to the "weight".
3. If the voltmeter shows the voltage is below 0, then the current-carrying strip of a heater is broken by connecting a voltmeter between the point and the side of the heater connected to the positive terminal of the battery.
4. To determine the point of rupture, move the probe for a conductive strip heater in the appropriate direction. The point where the pressure shown by the voltmeter, has changed dramatically and is the site of the break.
5. ohmmeter measure the resistance of each conductive strip between the side of the heater terminal and the center of each strip. Section bars having the gap, will have a resistance two times higher than the resistance of other heater strips.
Repair of a current-carrying strip of a heater
To repair the current-carrying strip of a heater prepare following materials and tools:
- conductive mass;
- fine conductive mass;
- adhesive tape;
The solvent wipe the area around the glass breaking current-carrying strip of a heater and glue strips of tape on both sides of the conductive strips.
Apply at intervals of 15 min three layers of conductive mass. Remove the tape, and wait until it dries conductive mass. After 24 hours, a sharp knife, remove the excess conductive mass.
After the restoration of current-carrying strip of a heater clean the glass along the strip heater spend a little moist cloth.