Checking the status of the transmission line
- Poddomkratte back of the car and establish it on props.
- Climb under the car and make a visual inspection of the propeller shaft. In case of cracks or deformation of the shaft, replace the last one.
- Check the front and rear propeller shaft for signs of oil leakage. Traces of leaks in the area of the input shaft to the transmission or transfer case speaks of failure of the corresponding gland (see. Describes how to replace the gland in Chapter Automatic Transmission). Leaks from the end facing the differential shaft are signs of defect gland pinion differential (Section Replacement of the gland pinion shaft of the differential).
- Remaining under the car, ask the assistant to turn the rear wheels to make rotate the propeller shaft. Themselves to make smooth and quiet operation of universal joints. Unacceptable as is the presence of backlash in the joints.
- Check the state of the universal joint can be produced and a fixed shaft. Holding Uzes from both sides and trying to roll the half of it to each other. The presence of any significant backlash speaks about deterioration of the joint. The play in the joints can be identified as lifting shaft.
- Finally, check the tightness of the mounting bolts on the ends of the propeller shaft.
- On 4WD models, the above test should be repeated for the front propeller shaft. Also, check the shaft for signs of leakage from the holder of the cross, talking about the failure of the seal holder.
- Check the drive shafts for signs of leaks in the area of the entrance to their transfer case and differentials. Identification of those speaks about deterioration of the respective seals.
- Also check for leakage of the outer ends of the sleeves bridges, near the brake shields. The presence of traces of leaks can be a sign of a failure of seals semi-axes of the bridge.